Tuesday 17 September 2019

September 12-15 The many faces of San Francisco

The time has come the walrus said ..... so as we prepare to exit left stage here are a few impressions of Sam Francisco - we fly out far too soon on that ghastly long haul flight across the Pacific.  
San Fran has so many faces - light and dark, colourful and grey. I ‘like’ them all, they make SF what it is. I both love and hate the streets. You’re confronted with the glitz and the ghastly. My favourite street is Market, it’s full of the weird and wonderful and the sad. People begging, many smoking weed and what I think was Ice. Others crazy dancing to some internal rhythm, others simply happy, clothes almost too weird to believe. In Castro a couple of guys strutted passed in high cut very brief leotards - one bright yellow accompanied by buckskin work boots, the other floral with black boots and net knee-highs. Sequins, feathers, net and bright tulle, it’s all out there. Still others line the pavement with stalls of ‘stuff’ they had gleaned or been given - old shoes, opened packet of cigarettes, sox etc, just to get a dollar or two. It’s a busy crowded sidewalk. I went out late one afternoon with some food to give out but poof! The streets were free of the homeless - I reckon there’s a dash for shelter late afternoon. 
I enjoyed a delightful moment or two yesterday when a street man and I stood side by side sharing the music of a street band - 6 musos playing, among other things, ‘Play that funky music’. He and I bopped along smiling at each other - the music said it all. There is some common ground we humans share - thank goodness. But .... Viva la difference! 

Odd fellows indeed!

These cops look so relaxed but the first hint of trouble and they and cop cars are all over the street. Amazingly quick response.

I stopped this gorgeous young man to photograph his ear ornament. I reckon it could be the next designer look in hearing aids - great foil for an aid.

This woman was out there all day selling her meagre goods. It’s an enterprise!

This took my eye as we walked the sea wall at Ocean Beach.

The band which drew me back to listen. Not brilliant but the sound was big and got the crowd going.

Now that’s big hair. I seem to hear faint echoes of a song about hair! Hmmmm 

No comments:

Post a Comment