Wednesday 11 September 2019

August 29 to 7 September V Flowers and trees - glorious!

Flowers and trees - my head is spinning! Glorious scenery as we roll along the rails. Through eastern Canada, through Ontario - poplar, birch, aspen and conifers. We’re particularly excited about seeing larch. Don’t ask it’s just one of those things. And aspen! Did you know that the Trembling Aspen forms one of the largest and oldest organism in the world? I didn’t either. This colony has survived relatively unnoticed within the Fishlake National Forest in Utah for 1000s of years. The scenery had been rather gorgeous in the slanting rays of the evening sun. Beautiful. 

Trees and flowers festooned the verge.

We strained to differentiate the birch and aspen - very difficult from a moving train.

This is an aspen. Magnificent. 

And look what I found! My favourite flowers. OMG whose hands are they? you think I might be just a tad dehydrated!?

This little guy tried hiding but I tracked him down. Sweet!



I thought these were some variety of black currants but found out later they are Saskatoon berries

The tree showing a touch of gold in the foreground is a larch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment