Monday 26 August 2019

August 5-17 VII Greenland - Rocks!

Those who know me know that I love rocks big and small - as well as flowers and skies!
The shape, colours, patterns and ages of the rocks, in Greenland particularly, was mind blowing. My fingers itched to put some samples in my pocket - but I resisted!  I’m impressed with my restraint - but hugely disappointed
Rocks as red as the Pilbara, colours and patterns like the Kimberley. Evidence everywhere of land movement, dare I say tectonic plates?! One afternoon I would have been happy to have been left behind on shore to pick over and gloat so amazing were the rocks. I could not have imagined such a place in my wildest dreams ...... but I’ll let you look for yourselves - then tell me rocks are not absolutely magical!

Perfect stillness

We had three mountain climbers on board who we dropped off to explore and climb some of the scary-looking peaks like these ones - they actually climbed these! We picked them up 3 days later. They reckon they had a fantastic time. Not for me but if you’re into mountain climbing look out for Aurora’s Arctic expeditions offering climbing in Greenland. Good luck!

The tranquility .............. it left us all speechless and breathless



That fascinating scree pattern is as a result of snow and ice between the crevices wearing away the rock and carrying it down to the waters edge.



Affectionately named Gateaux Point. No words needed.

That's our wee ship.  Anything larger what have been an abomination in this pristine setting.

People who have been to Kununurra are bound to have seen Zebra Stone. Look at this!! It totally grabbed me then and when I saw this well ........ and no I didn’t put any in my pocket Michael!

who could paint such colours and textures?



And this! This goes way beyond Wow! I almost wept. This is not a small rock as you might gather from the skeins of fog behind it.

I won’t even say it ........ try thinking about how this formed and what delicious minerals created such glorious colours. I was in heaven. leave me there please!

After one beach combing session a few of us went tootling along the shore poking into tiny grottoes and wondering at the rocks. Here marble or some such has inserted into rather black rock. How and when etc etc?  Unfortunately our geologist had left us at Longyearbeyan.

The rock at the bottom is not coal but how densely black it was.

Crazings of copper? formed rather dramatic effects here.

My porridge sky!

No comments:

Post a Comment