Tuesday 7 August 2018

July to August A journey with flowers - Part I

I know you’ve been waiting for this so .... here ‘tis. A little floral scenery. These beauties have hemmed our path, dotted the ruggedness of this rocky island and given us, particularly me, great pleasure.  I’ve been able to ID lots but many remain mysteries still to be cracked. I love my wild flowers book! It has had so much use - it was worth lugging it half round the world. (I’ve had to load the pix in two batches)
A pretty blue bell I haven’t found in the book - yet!

These red and purple fuchsia continue to delight the eye

These pretty cousins seem pale and insignificant beside the red - but so delicate

Yet to be found but pretty - and yellow!

I think this is purple loosestrife. It formed hedges along many roads with other pretty flowers and grasses

These are rosebay and have put on the most glorious display. One or two weeks ago they were tickets of flowers now they are putting out their seeds in wispy white feathers. The contrast is eye catching



The orange are montbretia, a lily like flower similar to what we get at home, I think. They form dense banks along the road mixing with rosebay and montbretia also meadow sweet, masses of grasses and umbellifers which tease and frustrate me. There are so many different varieties and I am hard pressed to identify which is which.



Pretty eh!?

Now these seemingly ordinary pillows of tufted flowers are thrift or sea pinks. They are so delicate their fragile petals burn quickly in the sea winds - they are a coastal plant.

Very delicate and pretty

We found sea pinks clustered on the most rugged and inhospitable cliffs as well as roadside in huge banks.

Sea asters found growing in The Burren in cracks in the limestone pavement.

Cheerful mayweed

This I think is white yarrow. Dainty

A delicate pink version



Roadsides lines with brilliant yellow - heavenly. This is common ragwort. Such an unfortunate and for such a happy looking flower

I love it


No comments:

Post a Comment