Tuesday 7 August 2018

July to August. A floral tribute - Part II

This second lot are a mixture of odd succulent types plus others - as well as insects. Some of these and the last batch of pix I posted are introduced species which have become totally assimilated into the wild landscape. Some were once wild then cultivated for the garden and later escaped back into the wild. 
They are all fascinating things that have caught my eye and make me marvel again and again at the beauty of the natural world.  Give me a flower over a cathedral any day!

No idea but it’s coastal.

This looks like a succulent but I am yet to find it in the book

Sun spurge (euphorbia). I love green flowers

You have to look close to see these scraps of colour. Butter wort which have beautiful dark purple violet-like flowers

Sea campion

Do delicate (note to self - widen your vocabulary!!!)

No idea - yet!

Ditto

Like forget me nots but not



Common knapweed - ray form. I hate the use of common for lots a reasons.

This little blurry bunch of pretty baubles is cross-leaved heather
A mixture of heathers

Simply heather!

Hemp agrimony (thistle family)

Judging by the hip I think this is a Japanese rose. But it’s the ‘bee’ that’s caught my eye. Peer into flowers and you never know what you’ll find.



Ribwort plantain. I’ve seen these all my life but now that I have a name for them I look more closely. Their flowers are so delicate and attractive to insects. These are sea side plants

Rather sweet these two sharing the nectar of this pretty daisy. But seconds later the butterfly saw off the bee!



You may not want these in your vege patch but it’s all about maintaining the balance in the food chain. And they kept communities alive at times of hardship and famon.

No fires in this lichen encrusted rocky place.

Tiny shards of light from the water droplets captured by this spiders web sent me back for my ‘camera’

Ah fungi, my favourite. Nature’s most efficient recycler. And just look at the range of wonderful textures

No comments:

Post a Comment