Monday 8 May 2017

​May 5-7 2017  North out of Alice
Over the last 1200k travelling north up 'The Track', the vista has constantly changed - relatively speaking. A mere 50-60k north of Alice we crossed the Tropic of Capricorn so theoretically we've been in the tropics for the last 2 days. And indeed the temperature has crept up albeit still with deliciously cool nights, but it was some hundreds of kilometres before the desert terrain of red earth, hardy ground cover, grasses and scrub - and road kill- was replaced by red and brown earth and expansive tracts of grasses with purple, black and golden feathers of the savannah lands - and road kill!. And trees galore most of which I can't name but I reckon I've seen Sandalwoods, northern salmon gum, wattles of many varieties and things I can't find in my book. Do we care? Not really I guess other than just to know the incredible diversity of our Aussie bush. Pretty amazing!
NT State floral emblem - the Desert Rose

Lindsay is starting to creep around like me snapping flowers. Hard on the knees and other things

Paddy Melons are food for lots of wild life

Paddy Melon flowers

And flowers - how many different species of actual flowers, rather than plants, would you reckon you'd find in a couple square meters of desert roadside? Well I counted and came up with at least 8 (without getting down on my hands and knees!). Daisies, mulla mullahs, pea flowers, wattle. And so too the flower array is an ever changing vista. I love it.! We have kept the weeks spinning only stopping to rest overnight in the at times meagre roadhouses along the road. Completely adequate camp sites of course but not places you'd choose to linger longer.
Anmatjere woman and child (with pirentie).

Places that stood out for me along the road have been Aileron which is home to some talented artists including Mark Egan who sculpted 'Aileron'a Anmatjere man' (nearly 20m tall) and then created woman and child to create a family.
And then TiTree which is aptly named being quite a successful fruit growing area with mangoes and grapes etc.
Devils Pebbles

Devils Marbles -just one aspect. 

A stop at the Devils Marbles (aboriginal men's sacred land) was a must albeit not as awesome as we were expecting; impressive none the less. We also took off the road further up the track to see the Devils Pebbles, an area which is a sacred place for the women. Both areas are situated in plains and worn-down hills dotted with blood orange granite boulders big and small. There's iron in them thar hills!
This peaceful spot is a recreation area for the people of Tennant Creek (as well as travellers)

Lake Mary Ann-Tingkkarli - just outside Tennant Creek a complete surprise, is a water recreational area for the area quite cool and lovely in the surrounding heat. Tennant Creek itself was quite a revelation - to me (unschooled as I seem to be on Australian history). It is the site of Australia's last big gold rush 1930. Never say that life isn't a learning experience.
Last night we bedded down at Elliot to the cries of peacocks! I kid you not.

Today we visited a place which has been on my 'places I want to see' list - Daly waters. It's full of humour and Oz hospitality. We stopped for a cool drink at the historic pub and then visited the WWII airfield and Stuart tree. Too much history there for me to relate, needless to say it is another piece of Oz history that I have either forgotten or wasn't told.
One of those pubs that collect everything. I mean everything!
A bit like the Williams Creek pub.

The red light is permanently on! 

The drive thru Mac sign reads 286 K - but I don't believe it!


We crossed the lush and green Warlock ponds with its beautiful water birds and water lilies as a prelude to the Katherine river and the township that seems a veritable oasis. We will linger here for a while. More later .....
The road put of Daly Waters

No comments:

Post a Comment