Saturday 6 May 2017


April 29 2017 From Woomera

I am beginning to be stuck for superlatives so just go with me please.
We started the day watching cows paddling in the Loddon and now we're hunkered down at Woomera under a desert sunset (actually now under a toe-nail sliver of new moon). It is so glorious! I always forget just how much I adore the desert - the air is so 'light'. And it is always surprises me anew when I get out here - I simply love it. Plus it is too dry for mozzies - hallelujah !!!!
The road speaks for itself - vast stretch of Oz slide
under your wheels as we journey under big expansive skies.

As we have driven further and further west today, it has been amazing watching the changing colours. Greens of every hue from deep forest green through Nashi pear green, blue green-grey to the palest silver 'green' of the iconic saltbush. And the earth has been so many shades of 'terracotta'. Colours ah!! some of you will remember Derwent, or was it Lakeland, coloured pencils, the big box that had a triple layer or was it ..... ? my memory is not good (and sadly I didn't have the 'big' box). The gradation of colours of today was rather 'lolly shop' magical.
We've travelled over 500 km today and have crossed and recrossed Goyder's Line (more on that later), bought delish 'true' Cornish pasties in the copper town of Burra at a shop Vanessa would absolutely adore (sorry pet I didn't take my iPhone in), sat at a rail crossing while a train ~2km long passed by, and have started to encounter road trains, the real Aussie road trains.
We are in Len Beadell kind of country, country of a type that is probably a good half of Oz - salt pans and desert. I feel like I'm in a Dorothea Mackellar poem and feel replete!
Big skies and glorious colour!

No comments:

Post a Comment