Friday 14 August 2020

Taking time to smell the 'roses'

You know me and flowers and plants well put your feet up because I’ve got a veritable florist shop for you to browse - and imagine the perfume  


Yellow daisies a personal fave but add a hover fly and - what can I say?!

Ah japonica! It is one of the first flowers that captivated me (that and cineraria under Aunty’s orange tree). Walking to school in Glen Iris a loooong time ago, we always walked passed a house with japonicas growing. Maybe it was the colour or maybe ..... I simply don’t know but the first flower garden I planted I included a japonica (flowering quince).

Look into the heart of a camellia and it draws you deeper. The petals are so fragile, almost translucent.

The Queen of Sheba in royal purple

Now if you were an insect wouldn’t you want to crawl inside to see what those dotty things were all about?

The dance of the fire ants!

As dainty as a bunch of tiny rose buds. Fascinating structure

Dainty pink ballerina grevillia

From the simply beautiful ....

..... to the beautifully complex.

Ah not to forget catkins. Lovely ropes of tiny flowers like strings of beads.

and the strings of wattle so heavy they are weighing these branches low (so I can snap them!)



I know, I can’t leaf it alone but here we have more. Amazing pattern rather like seersucker of old.

But look at the other side. Wow!

Baby wattle, cute.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful treat for Sunday afternoon Heather. I love the mountain botanical variety and giant trees, especially amazing artistry of bark colour and patterns. I fell in love with Japonica very early after doing Ikibana classes and so planted one in my first garden but with smaller gardens since then, I have kept up because it needs good space to show at best. Thanks for sharing your wonderful insights and photography. Edie M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re welcome and thanks for your kind words sweetie. Hope you are doing okay in lockdown land. Stay warm and amused. XO

      Delete