Monday 29 June 2020

Strolling around the neighbourhood - a time of discovery

We did venture away from the mothership a few times to roam. From cityscapes to the ‘bush’ of Westgate Park (even if the park is mostly man-made ). It has an interesting history, but to flowers and fungi and raindrops. 
We went walking in the Park a month or more ago and had a wonderful time discovering so many fascinating things; it was my first proper venture outside since iso. I’ve broken the pix into 2 groups because there were too many and I loved them all. I hope to add some names shortly in the meantime I'll leave you to browse and hopefully enjoy these special gems of nature. 

Red cage fungus - gorgeous. The insects love them too. 

Even more amazing up close

One of the earth star species - very compact and rather dainty

This is a different species, a beaked earth star

One of the shelf fungi. Delicate and pretty up close with its crystal necklace

Shelf fungus - it was like a splash of fire in the damp undergrowth.



You can almost make me out in the shiny surface of the younger ones!

A special green coral rare to the Park. Corals are rather a favourite of mine.

Those dark spots are insects stuck to the surface. Clever fungus. I wonder if they ingest the insects or whether it is simply a quirk of nature. Hmmmm 

And the delicate underside - quite stunning. 

This is a young version of the fungus above. They are sticky even at this size - see the insects already stuck on. 

Adorable wee thing



2 comments:

  1. Always fascinating write ups Heather and I'm so pleased to have access to your observations, thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having you share the world I see. 🤗

      Delete