Friday 13 March 2020

February 9 - Curio Bay

And we did see that amazing petrified forest
It was quite marvellous wandering over the rocks with the sea crashing in and over what was once a forest of tall and small trees alike. I could have spent many hours just picking my way through the rocks. 
I so love being alone by the sea! I wandered across the rocks stepping over the remains of a once mighty forest. I could have tarried longer but the bus awaited.
I'm not sure what this might have once been - a flower, fern, twig?

This is an Anisotome latifolia. I was to see more.
This pretty little thing is a Hebe elliptica, It can be white through to mauve and is also found in the Falkland Islands and South America. Links?

Wandering back from that rocky platform we entered a living forest of New Zealand native plants. These red pines formed part of a patch of living forest near the petried forest. Nice contrast.

That afternoon we boarded our wee vessel bound for the South Pole!

Heading out to sea it was blowing a gale and the seas was fairly rough; the Pilot boat was almost swamped. 

No comments:

Post a Comment