Saturday 13 July 2019

July 6 The architecture of the City by the Bay

This journey has a bit of an architectural theme both of the built and natural variety. San Francisco is new built relatively speaking and I love the sleekness of some of the Art Deco buildings but some of the newer buildings are quite breathtaking. I’ll leave you to look.


This unfinished edifice is quite fascinating, almost Escher like.

This to me is reminiscent of the Guggenheim in New York. Something that fascinated me was its curved escalators.

A Star Wars monolith.

To me this is a wee bit Rococo, Art Nouveau, rather flowery but lovely for all that

The Transamerica Pyramid is a 48-story futurist building which was the tallest building in San Francisco from its inception in 1972. Today it is the second-tallest ‘skyscraper’ on San Francisco’s skyline. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transamerica_Pyramid

Not a particularly attractive building.



When I looked at the decorative trimming on this building I was reminded of the Forbidden City in Beijing. I remember oohing and ahhing over the colour and design. Look closely at this and see the terrific colours.

Interesting neighbours!

This is a bold little creature. You’ve got to love it snapping at the heels of the lofty Transamerica Pyramid

Lines forever taking your eyes skywards

You’ve probably guessed what this is right? I love the detail. The colour? International Orange 

Quite magnificent


No comments:

Post a Comment