Friday 8 February 2019

January 2019 - A week in Wang I

You know what they say about mad dogs and Englishman - well add crazy fossickers to that! There we were squatting in the sun panning and sieving in Reedy Creek not so far from

Eldorado. What did we find? Hmmm well.... lots of pretty quartz - smoky, a piece I would say had a little rose in it, tiny birds-egg quartz stones polished by the river, pink granite and other things yet to be identified. Lovely place - but would be far lovelier if it had been cooler!!!!! But it’s a good time to acclimatise before we head NW to the really hot spots 🥵 near the border of Qld, SA and NSW. Crazy did I hear someone say? 


Isn’t this astonishing!?  Look at the variety of form, pattern and colour. So beautiful


This is the owner of that beauty. Poor creature was caught in the grill of the car. I picked it out but sadly it was fatally wounded


Buckets of gold! This is the dredge at Eldorado which when it was built in 1936 was the biggest in the Southern Hemisphere. From then until it ceased to operate in 1954, it recovered 2.2 tonnes of gold. That’s a lot of gold!


Kangaroo Crissing on Reedy Creek. Beautiful spot. 

So you ask, what have we here? Lots of quartz - mostly. I did reckon I saw a fleck or two of gold in my pan but attempts to extract them ...... poof, gone!


No comments:

Post a Comment