Thursday 21 September 2017

​Marble Bar and Jasper 8-10 September 2017
Isn't that a splendid view? The colours were gorgeous in the dying light. The pale green of the spinifex acts to intensify the rich red of the earth and rocks.
The famous bar of jasper mistaken for Marble - hence the name Marble Bar. The size of the outcrop is quite overwhelming but the vein extends much further than here and jasper can be found in a number of places.

Marble Bar lived up to expectations for me - pretty hot (their cool season!) but fascinating. I really wanted to see the deep band of exposed jasper that gave the place its name. That was at Marble Bar pool where we breakfasted and where I went for a swim - it was heavenly, so cool and peaceful. Obviously a favourite place with the locals because as we were leaving people were arriving with picnics etc.
Chinamans Pool a tranquil oasis which attracts lots of wildlife. It was named so because of the Chinese market gardens that were established there by Chinese migrants to the goldfields.

Marble Bar pool. So tranquil and that's in spite of a group of little kids playing around in the water.

One of the many shots I took of the jasper outcrop. If you've not encountered jasper before it's an opaque form of chalcedony (quartz) and comes in many colours. It is most usually multicoloured with unique patterns usually stripes. I first encountered jasper on Eyre Peninsula in SA back in the 1980s (I bought a piece of rock - it's not the same). I was captivated by the colour as well as the texture which has a waxy, greasy, silky almost warm feel. A very sensual rock!

I was after jasper so after climbing over a huge exposed vein of multi coloured stone, we headed for the jasper deposits in the hills outside of town not far from the old gold mine which is a whole other story. Suffice it to say there is still lots of gold there but it's too dangerous to mine - the hills are riddled with tunnels.
But the jasper...... I set off with a bag and high hopes. I love fossicking but bearing in mind the temperature was in the high 30s you'll appreciate that I didn't tackle the higher slopes where the best rocks were to be found apparently. Actually only one or two people braved those slopes. I spoke with one of the guys who'd been up there, an artist from the Margaret River. He showed me his booty.... absolutely stunning! The lovely man gave me one of his pieces and wanted to give me more but I simply could take it. He comes up to MB every year to collect ideas to take back to his studio; he was there with a geologist who was looking for gold way up on the ridge. Both of us pored over the colours and patterning of his find.
On our way to the jasper deposits. Quite excited!

The best bits were up that steep slope. Needless to say my meagre collection is not brilliant but they make me happy and keep me keen to find more.

My little collection. You can see the variation in colour and pattern. I find the stone infinitely fascinating - but then I'm a rock tragic!

In the meanwhile Lindsay was sensibly sheltering under a tree. I just about cooked out there in the sun, but I loved every minute of it and would happily return with a pick and stone hammer (I've lost mine).
We then visited the Comet gold mine just down the road. It no longer operates but it was a 'gold mine' in its day! Haha It sports the highest chimney in the Southern Hemisphere - they say, which was erected to suck out dangerous gasses from the tunnels. Interesting bit of trivia - it was the first place in WA to have AC power. The plant was built to support the mine and comfort of the miners and it also supplied the township of Marble Bar.

The chimney st Comet gold mine. We spent close to an hour there chatting with the guide - and inspecting the extensive collection of precious stones and metals from the area..
One of the places we didn't get to was the WW2 Secret Airbase which was known as No 73 Operational Base unit, 235 K, from MB on Corunna Downs. Interestingly we have just been listening to an audio book 'Marble Bar' by Robert Scofield set in MB and the airbase and Corunna Downs got a mention. Being such a secret location its long range Bombers carried out many bombing victories and being so far inland it was out of range for many enemy aircraft. History continues to unfold as we travel!
In the absence of a proper pic to show you, here's a photo of pat of the brochure.

I heard the place described as a FIFO town - Fit In or F... Off! I reckon its a hard town, but for me it was a thoroughly enjoyable visit, a place I would love to revisit.

No comments:

Post a Comment