Tuesday 25 April 2017


Two more sleeps and then we are gone - NW!
Great adventure ... and we made it right to the tippy tip tip of Cape York Peninsula 2015
Having just been to the southern most point of Oz, we're heading off to find the other northern most point in Oz. No, not 'The Tip' of Cape York Peninsula (we were there in 2015), but the Top End - places like Arhnem Land and world renowned National Parks and wilderness preserves.
We will be travelling up the Stuart Hwy through The Alice to reach Kakadu while there’s still plenty of water around - we hope. A place that's been on my list for many years is the Cobourg Peninsula. We'll be heading there next - Garig Gunak Barlu National Park, Arnhem Land (350 km east of Darwin) followed maybe by a trip out to the Tiwi Islands which are not too far off shore from Darwin, 'near' the Cobourg Pen and part of that whole scribbly piece of coast line.
On our list also are places that seem so remote and magical - Katherine gorge, the Adelaide River, Litchfield National Park, the Kimberleys, Gibb River Road (a look see at least)  .. and who know where else. Kunanurra, Lake Argyle, Ord Rover, Bungle Bungles, King Leopold Ranges, Fitzroy Crossing and …..
We are packed to the gunwales with all manner of back up equipment and rescue gear .... and tons of food (and wine), but of course! We've also pack lots of other things to keep us on track - both of us subscribe to a range of online learning courses but I also take a range of reference books on plants and rocks, etc and fungi of course. I would so love to see desert fungi - seems there are heaps. I will just have to keep me eyes open.
Travel for me is about exploring places and 'things' I don't know about or about which I have forgotten. For example in Tassie I learned about the discovery and settlement of the Furneaux group of islands in Bass Strait. Each trip sends me back to books or to Google to learn more about matters big and small. I learnt so much on our Tassie trip but I won't bore you with my ravings! But maybe just one question - what causes hexagonal granite formations? So many questions. Thank goodness for Google and of course visitors centres are wonderful sources of all manner of information. You can take it or leave it but explore a little and a whole new book opens and once you're hooked. The internet is a mine field of treasures - when you have internet - and where we're going there wont be much, oh well. We'll be off the grid, unplugged for much of the time. Marvellous!!

No comments:

Post a Comment